Contact Ms. Lipsky by emailing LipskyEL@gm.sbac.edu

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Brr!

Climate change could cause the ice peaks on Africa's Mount Kilimanjaro to disappear within the next 25 years! Glaciologists, scientists who study glaciers, say the peaks might be ice-free as soon as 2022, or by 2033 at the latest. 85% of the ice that was present in 1912 has disappeared. Scientists are making similar findings all around the world. A rise in temperatures is one of the reasons for the ice melting, but also human-caused climate change that has made for drier and less cloudy conditions than in the past are also causing the ice to shrink. The picture shows a remnant of what once was an ice field.

12 comments:

Daisy said...

Ohhhhhhhh that is cool.

Joshua said...

THAT IS COOL. Glaciologists said, "It will be ice free at the year 2022 or 2032 at the latest."

Von said...

This is sad, because of this other disasters will happen.

Victoria ! ! ! said...

I agree, ice free is awesome!soon you'll see the land!!!!! SO COOL,I can't wait to see that happen.

Anonymous said...

If the ice peaks melted would it effect the anmials or the climat? sincerly, isaiah.

KODY said...

NO MORE ICE THATS TO BAD YOU COULD HAVE MADE COOL THINGS OUT OF IT.GET I SAID COOL OH I CRACK MYSELF UP.

nick said...

that is bad . it will not just harm mount kilimanjaro but it will harm us.

Amber said...

Are you scared Ms.Lipski?I am.I am scared to die.Or something might happen to me before 2022 & 2033.I want to aks a scientist that knows about this like Mrs.brady how we can help before those days come.You might know.Do you know? If you do please tell me how I can help in class or we could move to mars.This is also sad, because we might die because of one big disaster.So if sientist figure something out I willbe so happy.

adrian said...

that is extremely scary,wy did it have to be my generation.

Amber said...

Hey Ms.Lipsky i wonT have to worry about anything because I will be living on mars.:)(: :0

Fidel said...

Is it going to cover half of the earth , and will it drown us?This is cool information of the ice melting.

kody said...

That is bad when that ice melts it will flood the coast line and the sea level will rise and it will flood the city and maybe the WORLD!!!I'm freaken out.